Thursday, November 24, 2005

Anguish

Wretched soul in pain and anguish. Pain, sorrow, the keys of life and death clutched tightly in my fist. One word and the screaming will end in silence. One last breath gulped in panic and then nothing.

A silence so loud that wails of pain and sorrow cannot drown it out. A silence which cries out in anguish. The deafening noise of defeat which darkly calls out to me and taunts me with "what if."

What if tomorrow came, what if I was only fighting for a time. What if I was crying for your touch, just to know you were there? What if my fever had eased? What if you were me?

Can I drown the screams of pain. Will the voices cease to call out to me? God, please...put us both out of our misery. I do not wish to play the hand of death. I do not want my role. You take back the stupid keys. I cannot kill my friend. Not me. I watch in agony and ask just this...why me?

What if?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry, Sarah.