Saturday, November 26, 2005

Roses among Thorns

The small things in life are the things that make it special. The Roses among the thorns. This past week has been a time of heartache and anguish but even so there were small moments which I shall always cherish.

When the dog first started acting sick we brought him into the foyer and made him a bed downstairs. My cousin Tyler was sitting on the steps watching and wondering if Shadow was going to die. His little heart was very concerned as I walked up the stairs. A few minutes later he came running up to me with the biggest grin on his little face and said, "Sarah, I have good news!" "He is better!" "Come see him standing up!!" Sure enough Shadow had stood on wobbly feet and tried to retreat into a corner where little hands wouldn't pester him.

Grandmom tried to be there for me. Always willing to ride with me to the vet and to do whatever she could to keep Shadow alive.

The Vet taking time to pray with me and checking on Shadow even during the Thanksgiving holiday.

Pop picking out the perfect spot to bury Shadow, and then working even when he felt miserable to dig a hole big enough to bury him. I went out to help him dig and when I thanked him for his part he said, "I wouldn't have missed it for the world." and he meant it.

Kayla and Lauren learning that Shadow had been buried, giving up thier plot to scare Grandmom and Pop and instead running outside to place flowers on his grave.

The hugs and notes from friends and family.

A last glance at his still form and just being awed once again by his beauty even in death.

All these things are the roses among thorns.

1 comment:

David Edward said...

S. you are a beautiful child of God, and as beautiful to Him as your Shadow was to you. "how precious to the Lord are His chosen ones who stand and fight and die for the Name"
Paraphrase from the unbook of things I remember but don't know where from.

Please, beam me up, Lord, I am living 'Ground Hog Day" all over and I dont like that it has no ending
( my attempt to laugh so I don't cry)

If you have a sec click on Jayleigh's blog today, ok?