Monday, December 19, 2005

Home town charm

Well, I'm back in my hometown. Nothing like driving down the road waving to everyone as you pass them on the street. I miss this place. I never thought I'd get so attached to one town. I remember coming to visit my Grandparents here when I was a little girl. I'd walk down the road and think that I'd never want to live here.
Those roads are dear to me now because in a twist of fate I ended up moving to town. I spent a while getting to know the locals. Talking to the elderly couples on the lawn as I walked past them with the dog. Hanging out with the teens and young adults at the "hangout." Grabbing one of the best cokes on the planet on my way to_______________.
Love the whole homey feeling, being able to call friends up on the spur of the moment, knowing the people who work at the gas stations, restaurants and stores on a first name basis. Hearing the stories about my Dad when he was a little boy, or the things my Grandparents did with thier friends when they were young and fearless.
It is almost as if I had roots here...four years in a life doesn't seem like much time but you never know when it may be the investment of a lifetime.
This town always seemed to be cursed before but now I see that it isn't a curse that brings us back. ~ Kids here grow up with the intentions of getting out but then after a few years on the open roads eating up the wild side of city living they come back. Back to the easy going small town. Back to soccer games, baseball, and football where the whole town shows up to support the team. Back to the squabbles which have been around for generations, back to the area where everyone knows what is happening, who is dating who, and what would fix the problems.
Things are simple here. We work hard, play hard and can leave our doors unlocked if we want. People care...this place is real. Alright well, I'm headed out to soak up some more memories.

5 comments:

David Edward said...

do you think maybe God is walking those streets with you, helping you to appreciate the wonder of life, now that you have perspective. i think this is part of His plan for your life. Figure it out, friend, as you walk along. Hear what he has to say to you in the voices from your past. Don't worry about tomorrow, just enjoy today.

Carol said...

It sounds really great because you are ready to appreciate it, now. Waiting to hear more about your small town!

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

I agree with David --
Andrew

Carol said...

Texas Gal,
Just letting you know that Friendly
Friday is still on tomorrow if you are not too busy. The sounds of the violin would be great!

Happy Yuletide greetings from the conductor of the Friends of the Friendless Marching Band.

Greg Hiser said...

Siiiigh... Now you have me missing home. Thanks for your thoughtfulness, Sarah. You're a fantastic painter by the way - keep it up!

You play the violin too??