Tuesday, September 06, 2005

A glimpse in the past!

My parents started home schooling me when I was very young. I enjoyed this very much but at one point in life I begged for the opportunity to attend a public school. That was the summer before I started 5th grade, my best friend's Mom was teaching the 5th graders and I was constantly being told by well meaning people in the community that I would be warped for life and that I needed socialization. I didn't want to be "warped" so I talked about going to public school quite a bit that summer.

My parents finally decided to let me try it out. You can imagine my utter shock at waking up the day school started and having them say, “How would you like to go to public school today?” I was confused, it had never been an option before and then they just dumped it in my lap. I didn’t know if I should go but I wanted to give it a try, so I scrambled around to find something to wear, made a jelly sandwich (We didn‘t have any peanut butter but I wasn‘t going to eat cafeteria food.) and was on my way.
Hehe, this was actually a highlight in my life. I was famous and popular as the girl who had home schooled and enjoyed the favor of the cutest guy in class.

I now look back fondly on the week I took my “field trip” to public school. I attended for three whole days. It was a blast, I made a few new friends and prayed over my lunch even though some of the other kids were scared that they might get in trouble for praying.

It boiled down to a choice. I looked around, decided that I knew most of the kids before I attended the school, realized that people who worried about socialization didn‘t have a clue about what I did with my life, and thought really hard about the benefits of going to public school.
Let's see....
1. Going to school for hours and then taking homework with me when I left.
2. Getting up at an ungodly hour to catch the school bus.
3. Missing the great outdoors, playing with my brother and sister and my other home schooled friends.
3. Having Mrs. Bigsby as my math teacher.
4. Carrying all of my school books everywhere.
5. Riding the dumb bus home with all the freaky kids that threw pencils and the little kids that were really annoying, and the big kids that glared at you like they might attack.
I said ok, this is all very nice but not as nice as home schooling, and then I begged my parents to teach me at home. From that point out I was the most greatful of homeschooling students!

No comments: