Saturday, September 10, 2005

Reflections in the rain....

The rain is pouring down on earth. It is drenching all it touches with a sad but determined fury. I've been outside within it's cold reach all morning. Sitting beneath the thin protection of a rusty tin roof. I paint at what seems to be a never ending project. Though no human companion dares to watch me at my work I am not alone. My faithful dog sighs as he sits nearby. I look up at him and he gently wags his old blue tail. I smile and wonder if I should move the plate of blue paint which is sitting next to him.

He has been a good dog. A wonderful companion the past 11 years. His deep brown eyes look up at me but an inquiry reveals that the funny antics of a carefree pup have long since ceased. Instead, I see a somehow saddened gaze. It speaks of wisdom and experience. The eyes are dimmed with age but loyalty has given them a new beauty. He lowers his head back to the ground.

The raindrops continue to fall, giving the air a heavy sense of woe. It cries, "look here, see the future as it is comes. Appreciate the present for all of this will pass away." I pat my old dog on the head and take a moment to tell him what I'm thinking...how I'll miss him when he is gone, what he has meant to me over the years and then I turn my thoughts to the Lord. Tears welling up, I thank God for giving me such a faithful friend.

I take a trip inside the house but as I wade through the water which drowns our soil it causes mud to rise. The pressure is placed on it's unstable surface and muds ugly head lifts itself from the water to glare at me. My mind turns it's thought then to humanity. I am haunted by the faces of those I know, those who are sinking deep within the mire of sin. I realize they are sinking but there is something worse. They are not warned and with no real grasp of the dangers at hand how will they have a way of escape. I shudder, is there a way to show them freedom from this grasp of sin?

Can I warn them? Will they listen? I cannot say. I gaze into my reflection in the rain. Do I reflect my maker, can they see him through the dirt and mud. The sin stains smeared into my life? Do they see his loving hand upon me? Friends, I weep for I am found wanting. If this reflection is of me, how can they see?

God grant me purity that others may see you through reflection. Wash me, cleanse me, use me. May I not be the mudd that mars your glory but the clear rain that brings life to those who would have it.

1 comment:

David Edward said...

very well written and thought provoking, You are most certainly in good company with those thoughts. we all need a bit more polish so we can reflect Him more accurately.
Good job